Dash cams have made leaps and bounds in quality over the last few years and are also much cheaper in price than most drivers and fleet owners realize. Many truckers have turned to using dash cams for several reasons. Specifically protection from being charged with “preventable” and “non preventable” accidents, recording DOT and law enforcement interactions and also for sharing interesting things you see on the road with family and friends. My daughter was always excited to see daddy’s “long trip.”
Fleet owners are also turning to dash cams to lower insurance rates, protect their drivers and to fend off lawsuits that may otherwise be lost in the courtroom due to no video evidence. The bias against truckers and trucking companies often results in an unfair and predatory litigation that cost the industry millions and can destroy a drivers career or an entire small fleet.
The Best Dash Cam For Truckers
Surprisingly, none of the major dash cam manufactures have specifically marketed a camera to the transportation industry. With that being said though the Kdlinks X1 is by far the best dash cam for truckers and fleets out on the market for several reasons. The video recording is in full 1080P High Definition at 30 FPS (Frames Per Second) and is crystal clear, day or night. The days of grainy “what am I looking at video” are long gone. This dash cam can also capture audio within the cab.
The wide angle (165 degrees) also makes this an excellent choice for truck drivers because it captures what is happening in a wide turn better than a camera with a narrow field of vision. This dash cam utilizes F1.6 night vision to capture crisp images at night as well as during low light situations at dusk, dawn or through tunnels.
The overall quality is outstanding and will put up with the extended recording times, harsh conditions, vibrations, temperatures and environments that truckers experience on a daily basis.
Watch a 11 minute independent review of the KDLinks dash cam!
The Kdlinks X1 Dash Cam has an excellent suction cup style attachment (yes it really sticks and stays stuck.) Just remember to clean your windshield well before placing it. The quality of this dash cam is excellent and will hold up to the long days of continuous recording, vibrations, dust and extreme temperature ranges that truckers face on a daily basis. A few of the features that make this the best dash cam for truckers are:
- Built in G-Sensor locks data to memory (sudden impacts, hard braking and accidents are automatically stored to memory)
- Manual emergency lock button stores footage to memory
- Loop recording: automatically overwrites oldest footage with the newest for seamless continuous recording.
- 8G Micro SD card included (can use or upgrade to an HD card if needed/wanted)
- 12 volt; easily plug into any cigar/cigarette lighter outlet/plug, the power cord is 12 feet and 10 inches long.
- Built-in GPS module precisely records GPS data into video clips. You can check vehicle location/speed/route on Google Maps through included KDLINKS Player Software. (This is an included optional feature and the GPS does not have to be used.)
- 2.7″ size screen for easy viewing
- 165 degree ultra wide angle lens digital zoom for capturing plate numbers at a far distance.
- Temperature safe and tested from -40° to 170°, 3rd party lab tested
- One year warranty covering anything (additional 2 year low cost coverage option)
- Great customer service with a 24 hour turnaround time to all emails, 80% being answered within 1 -4 hours
What’s included with the dash cam
- In-car charging cable – 12 volt cigarette lighter outlet.
- Swivel Suction Mount Bracket – Allows you to easily position the camera at any angle and it will rotate 360 degrees within the vehicle while suction cupped. This allows you to turn it to face the side windows if you would like to record an officer during a traffic stop or DOT inspection.
- One suction cup WITH GPS module
- One suction cup WITHOUT GPS module
- 8GB Micro SD card
- User Manual – Detailed information that is easy to understand.
- CD with Video Player Software for GPS Function
Cons & what could be improved
The KDLINKS is one of, if not the best dash cams out there but it does have a few things we would change and want you to be aware of.
- The battery will only last for 1 to 2 minutes when unplugged and is only meant as an emergency back up if the camera is accidentally unplugged. This is pretty standard of any dash cam on the market.
- The included SD micro card is standard definition, we would like to see a larger HD card included instead. You can add an HD card yourself for little cost if you desire.
Other Dash Cams For Truckers
While the Kdlinks brand is the best dash cam for truckers everyone has different needs and budget restrictions, so we want to provide other options that may work for you or your truck fleet. I can not personally endorse these dash cams.
The falcon dash cam is Kdlinks most fierce competitor. The reason I did not make it my number one pick is that (in my opinion) the overall quality is less than the kdlinks trucker dash cam. With that being said, the Falcon dash cam is lower in price on average and is a good quality quality dash cam for truck fleets and drivers.
- Full HD 30 FPS recording with GPS and a 64GB SD card
- Wide angle 170° lens
- Great video quality
- Automatic accident capture and saving
- 2.7″ screen
- Audio recording
- Night vision must manually be turned on
- Continuous loop recording
Black Box G1W Dash Cam (Budget Friendly)
Coming in at a very low price point this dash cam is great for truckers or fleets that don’t need or want a higher quality dash cam. The recording looks great on this cam but the angle is only 140° and the overall quality is lower than other dash cams. It does not include a memory card and you must use the older class 4 or 6 SD cards or you will have memory errors. Users also report that the instruction book is hard to understand and the unit is not GPS capable.
- Locks accident data automatically
- 140° recording angle
- LED night vision
- Loop recording
- No Gps
- Responsive customer service
- Can be zoomed in