All too often convicted felons are unfairly turned down for job after job because of past mistakes that may be many years behind them. People pass judgment and assume that because you have a felony you are a “violent” or a bad person which may not be the case. There are many trucking companies that hire felons depending on how recent the conviction was, what type of felony was committed and how many felony convictions the applicant has.
Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
I have found that there are many trucking companies that hire felons even with multiple convictions. Sometimes a traffic misdemeanor can be worse than a felony conviction for check fraud or theft.
The age of the felony, your work history and your motor vehicle record will play a large part in finding trucking a company that will hire an ex felon. It is extremely important you are 100% honest about everything on your application. Do not stretch the truth or lie anywhere on your application or you will be rejected from employment at that trucking company!
The application process
Trucking companies are required by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to do an in depth background check on all applicants, this is known as a Pre Employment Screening (PSP). The PSP will consist of criminal, employment, address and driving record investigations. Even truck drivers that have never been convicted of a crime or felony can be disqualified for trying to hide anything on their applications. If you have times in your past where you were unemployed make sure that you put that on your application and account for any periods of unemployment.
The trucking company that you apply with is going to take many things into account when they look at your application. Because you have a felony it will be to your advantage to shine in other areas. This does not mean that you must be perfect but it will only help you in your pursuit of a good paying trucking job. Make sure that your application completely filled out properly and neatly.
The main points trucking companies look for in an applicant:
- Fairly steady employment background (no large gaps between employment that is not explainable)
- Recent graduation from an approved truck driving school or willing to be trained
- Any CDL driving experience (not a must have but it is helpful)
- A fairly clean driving record with no reckless driving convictions
Misdemeanors and Traffic Violations
Reckless driving and any crime committed while operating a commercial vehicle will make it extremely hard to find a trucking job. Lesser crimes such as petty theft/shoplifting will often not be a big deal to most trucking companies, especially if they are not recent convictions.
You have a good chance of being hired!
Remember that trucking companies are always hiring because of the truck driver shortage in the United States. Don’t lose hope if the first 10 companies turn you down. My best advice to you is to fill out every application possible, chances are you will be hired by a trucking company if you make it your priority.
Below is a list of trucking companies that hire felons. This should give you a good start into finding a trucking company to work for. These are all larger and medium sized companies, some even will consider any conviction on a case by case basis.
If you have no luck with the below companies start looking on Craigslist for smaller trucking companies. South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, West Virginia and Wyoming are hot spots for oilfield drivers . There is a major driver shortage in these states and they offer are very high paying jobs. Many truck drivers find employers paying over $70,000 a year in the far northern states.
I wish you all the best in finding a rewarding career as a truck driver and strongly urge you to fill out a driver application with every trucking company listed below.
List of Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
Most of these trucking companies require no experience at all and some even offer no upfront cost truck driver training. Those with training are noted and most companies listed hire nationwide. Simply click on the company below to go to their website.
Trucking companies that hire felons with convictions that are 10 years old or more:
- Swift Transportation (also offers truck driver training)
- J.B. Hunt
- Shaffer Trucking
- TMC Transport
- Crete Carrier
- Dick Lavy Trucking
- CR England
- Celadon (also offers truck driver training)
- Dutch Maid Logistics
- Hunt Transportation (Must have 12 months experience)
- JBS Carriers (must have 12 months experience)
Trucking companies that hire felons with convictions that are 7 years old or more:
- Roehl Transport (also offers truck driver training)
- Melton Truck Lines
- Stevens Transport
- PGT Trucking
- Falcon Transport (must have 6 months experience)
- Knight Transportation
- Tango Transport
- Barr-Nunn Transportation (Must have 12 months experience)
- Groendyke Transport (TX, OK, LA Only)
- Interstate Distributor Co.
Trucking companies that hire felons with convictions that are 5 years old or more:
- Boyd Brothers
- Western express
- Transway Inc.
- TransAm Trucking
- Paschall Truck Lines
- Carolina Cargo
- DeBoer Trucking Company
- Florilli Transportation (Must have 12 months experience)
Trucking companies that hire felons on a case by case basis:
- Werner Enterprises
- Navajo Express
- Millis Transfer (also offers truck driver training)
- Conway Truckload
- FFE (also offers training)
- Carolina Cargo
- Schneider National (also offers truck driver training)
- E.W Wylie
- Prime Inc. (also offers truck driver training)
- USA Truck (also offers truck driver training)
- Maverick Transportation
- US Express
- Tyson Foods (also offers truck driver training)
- Covenant Transport
- Cardinal Logistics
- Freymiller (Must have 6 months experience)
- Hirschbach (Must have 6 months experience)
- J & R Schugel
- LCT Transportation
Felony convictions that will bar you from employment as a truck driver
- Any felony traffic (vehicle) violations involving a commercial vehicle
- Trafficking or distribution of controlled substances, materials or weapons (most)